Monday, February 16, 2015

My Obsession with Kimchi



There is a funny saying that Korean always pack their rice pot/kitchen everywhere they go. I have to agree as before the collapse of world economy in 2008, the numbers of Korean investors were at its max in Cambodia's capital city, Phnom Penh. That also resulted in growing of Korean restaurants, even from the famous North Korean a restaurant called Pyongyang. I was first introduced to Kimchi by my very first Korean employer. I liked it from my very first bite and grow the love of its spicy taste. According to Wikipedia, Kimchi is a traditional fermented Korean main/side dish made of vegetables with a variety of seasonings. It is often described as spicy and sour.

I am so obsessed to the point that I spent big amount of time surfing Kimchi recipes on youtube. I really enjoyed watching how Kimchi is made from scratch. I had to make sure that I watch my favorite youtuber/blogger Maangchi (from http://www.maangchi.com/) making her Kimchi more than twice. Eventually, I did make my most favorite Cubed radish kimchi (kkakdugi: 깍두기) and I am so proud of that.
Thanks,
Sreyneang
==============================================================
Ingredients:
Korean radish (or daikon), salt, sugar, fish sauce, hot pepper flakes, green onions, garlic, ginger.
Directions:
Peel 4 pounds of Korean radish (or daikon).
Rinse in cold water and pat dry.
Cut it into ¾ to 1 inch cubes. Put into a large bowl.
Add 2 tbs salt, 2 tbs sugar, and mix well.
*tip: If you like your kkakdugi sweeter, add 1 or more extra tbs of sugar.
Set aside for 30 minutes.
Drain the juice from the radish into a small bowl.
Add 2 tbs minced garlic (about 5-6 cloves garlic), 1 ts minced ginger, 4 stalks of chopped green onions, ¼ cup fish sauce, 2/3 cup hot pepper flakes, and ⅓ cup of the juice from the radish.

Or visit: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kkakdugi 

No comments:

Post a Comment